Active shooter situations have become an all-to-frequent occurrence in the United States. As a result, the need for continued vigilance remains constant and it’s important for citizens to know how to respond in such an emergency.
The following five tips are important steps in ensuring your safety in an active shooter situation.
- Always be aware of your environment and any possible dangers surrounding you.
- Take note of at least two nearest exits in any facility you visit.
- If you are in a room or an office, stay there and secure the door.
- If you are in a hallway, get into a room as soon as possible and secure the door.
- As a last resort, attempt to incapacitate the shooter with as much force as required to do so. If the shooter is close and you cannot flee, your chance of survival is much greater if you attempt to take down the shooter.
Once you are safe to do so, call 911!
Important details to relay to the 911 operator are:
- The location of the active shooter
- The number of shooters
- A physical description of the shooter(s)
- The number and type of weapons being carried by the shooter(s)
- The number of potential victims at the location
One important deterrent to these types of crimes is having armed security officers on site. Security presence can screen unwanted visitors to a property, assist in emergency response, and as a last resort, eliminate the threat.
If you are interested in security guarding services for your facility, call GCI Security, Inc. today at (314) 531-1500 or fill out the contact form below to set up a FREE consultation with one of GCI’s experts to learn how to best secure your facility.